Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Half-Baked Philosophy About Intellectual Context or Some Other Bullshit

Does the language fit the context, or is it the other way around?

Yeah, it's unimportant, and pretty self-evident, and pretty simple. Wittgenstein on a stupid day. You can quit now.

I've killed the Nothing Important joke, an inbred who humps trees when the chicken's giving him the silent treatment, who buys lottery tickets, could make that joke. Someone capable of making a joke could make that joke. I apologize for all the times I made that joke.

I assume you know what I mean, and I just want to write because my dad told me office jobs aren't so bad. "Oh, but you haven't gone to an office job. You don't know. You're just spouting rhetoric." I haven't been to jail either. I have read a few Dilbert's, though. Most of what I said was spouting rhetoric. But I want to be a professional writer. My best-seller, Booker-Pulitzer-Nobel prize winning book, coming soon.

Soon as I stop playing video games. If this were 24, Kiefer Sutherland would desparately be trying to stop the X-Box. The President would be on high alert.

"My God, Mr. President! They've just loaded Halo 2!"

Anyway. The article that assumes you tutor at Harvard is over.

Assuming I didn't lose anybody with that first statement. I think I didn't. But I probably think that people are stupider than they are and/or that I'm smarter than I think I am.

Here. Okay, going back to language fits the context.

Usually, my family eats together, my mother and father sitting east-west, my brother sitting north-south. A fun supper-time activity that comes up is when my brother and I discuss comic books - the artists, what we liked about them, what we didn't. This, of course, confounds my parents, because they only know comics from the covers that we leave around the house.

Now, something is out of place, something doesn't fit for them, which leaves them befuddled. Now, why is this? Is it because they lack the context (namely, having read comics intensively, sometimes memorizing them, as I have a few particularly stellar issues?) Or, is it because they lack the language that could allow them to picture in their mind what I'm talking about, create a context for what I'm talking about, even if they haven't read the comic books that I'm currently discussing?

On the topic of comic books, they are filled with art. I have read and re-read thousands of comic books. I know what works, and what doesn't. But eventually, I can never say why I like the art, other than, "Art pretty. Me like." This, despite reading thousands of comic books. The language that is elementary betrays my lack of knowledge of the area.

Thus, the way I see comics is different than a professional artist, befitting my lack of language about comic books.

The things they talk about (and the language they use) come from the things they do, or do the things they talk about create the things they do? If a hick went to Harvard, eventually, he could pick up on what they were talking about. He would learn their Academic language. But is this because to fit into Harvard, he would have to learn the language? Like someone in France would eventually learn Allez, Sil Vous Plait, or Merci, simply out of necessity? Or is it because Harvard uses academic language, primarily concerned with abstract/academic/'smart' ideas, that it becomes academic? Thus, academic language necessarily creates an academic environment.

On a minor, probably wrong note, this could be why pop culture studies are so successful. Simple shows, meant for entertainment, become academically significant once they are discussed academically, once they are viewed in an academic context. (Just like when I say about comics, "This pretty. Me like." Only with bigger words.)

I'll probably re-work this essay/thing later. Peace out.

"No one wishes that they spent more time at the office."
Keine Manne mochten dass sie waren um die Rathause mehr oft.

That German's probably wrong. I'll fix it when I re-work it. It's late, and I got an interview at an office place tommorow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Benoît Beauvais said...

Bullshit!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rathaus in German in Cityhall...

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home