Tuesday, November 29, 2005

"You Don't Really Miss Someone Until They're Gone..."

The best stranger to poke you in the back when you're not looking is a pretty blonde college girl.

Which is what happened to me today at my local supermarket.

This girl was an old acquaintance at my college. One of those girls I saw in the classroom, never really got to know. Until now.

Turns out, she's living at a dormitory, while going to another university cross town. Because she couldn't bear to part with friends. Unlike me, who'd abandon them if it could get me five bucks and a Coke. Which might explain my somewhat dim social situation.

Anyway, she mentioned that she had dropped out, along with Nick and Mark. I did not know who the fuck Nick and Mark were, like the girl.

Which is when I said the title of this post.

I have never been so thankful to be in the express lane. Unfortunately, I bought 6 yogurts and a milk. Had I known this was going to be a social situation, I would have bought something more socieable - oregano sauce, foreign cooking sauces, and something with an unpronounceable French name.

But I left and said I'd say hi to everyone for her. Yes, here's a sample of what that never-to-be-realized conversation will go like,

Me: Hey, you guys know a pretty blonde girl, wore a scarf, dropped out of journalism?
Them: No.
Me: Okay (insert various hem-hawing, and my attempts at description searching the deepest cesspits of my memory for something she had done.)
Them: Oh, you mean (insert name here)?
Me: Yeah. That's her. She says hi. Along with Nick and Mark.

Which is why I never will mention her again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Benoît Beauvais said...

I miss her already.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home