Saturday, January 22, 2005

Canadian Culture

I have this theory I just developed seconds ago.

Canadians who are trying to promote Canadian culture are trying too hard.

Instead of just leaving Canadian culture grow naturally - even if its just American culture, but more liberal - they instead leech upon Canadian artists.

If it's Canadian and related to Canada, they pounce on it, sucking it up, trying to present it like a crack junkie looking for its next fix. But in a more abstract sense. I will demonstrate.

Junkie: "Oh man, I don't got crack, I ain't high, I gotta get some crack..."
Canadian Cultural promoter: "Oh man, Canada don't got a definable culture, we ain't self-actualized, we gotta get some definable culture..."

So any artist that seems the least bit Canadian - and only Canadian - then they pounce on it, showing how great our culture is. How it couldn't have been made anywhere else but Canada. But if it's made in Canada - even though it could've been written elsewhere - it's part of our culture. People gravitate toward ideas they like, and fuck cultural identity. Their cultural identity is ideas they like, and so the fuck what if it isn't strictly Canadian?

If the Nazis, the Temperance movement, and the McCarthy era have shown us one thing, it's that you can't interfere with culture, ideas, and people's thoughts without something bad happening, be it brutal repression, the rise of organized crime, and Che Guevara t-shirts. It grows on its own. Tough break for all those racists who complain about blacks polluting the culture.

I realize this has as many holes as Swiss cheese, but this site is Nothing Important. Man, I'm running that joke into the ground. I apologize.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home