Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Staples or Ryerson

So, being a film geek (along with many others - I'm a Renaissance geek of some sort, and also, humble) I wanted to check out the Rogers near me. They were all pretty far from my university, but I picked the one nearest me. However, when I got to the street it was on, that was too far, so I went back.

Anyway, on the way back, I stopped into pick up a duotang and a pencil. Ended up buying that plus highlighters, a map, and a dictionary. I needed them all, but still, I don't like unintended purchases. Shows me what a consumer whore I am. But I came to the first step of Consumers Anonymous: admitting I have a problem. At first, I was glancing around at all the products in Staples, thinking about how nice it would be to have these at my desk. How organized my life would be, how professional, how in control. Carpe productum, instead of a day. But then I realized that that was exactly how they wanted to make me feel; instead of it being about the way I wanted to live, with all the niceties of Staples, it was about purchasing something else.

The pens section was brutal. 124.60 for a pen. Unless you're the President and you're signing a treaty, nobody needs a pen like that.

Also, another note to this story (and the reason for the title) is that I refused to shop at the Ryerson University Book Store. I wanted to shop at the monolithic corporation I knew instead of the monotholic corporation I didn't. It was also against the university - they're expensive, and everyone (including the universities) agrees that it's a problem. But who sets the cost for these books? The universities. You won't find the Canadian Press Caps and Spelling book in Chapters; and since these university students need them to pass, why not charge extravagant prices for them? And really, in terms of strictly school supplies, the only advantage the Ryerson University Book Store itself had was that it sold candy.

I won't write much else. I'm hungry.

Это - моя дорогая ручка.
This is my expensive pen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home