Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Blog Update

Blog Update
Sorry I haven’t written anything in a while, but I’ve been moving into college, plus, guess what the title of this website implies?

Learning a lot about big cities, as compared to Regina, where I’ve lived since I first came into this world, bloody and screaming.

Basically, Regina is McDonald’s, and Toronto is a foreign restaurant of some sort. Regina is stable and bland. Regina has two types of people – white people, and native people. And if you’re rich, like I was, fortunately and unfortunately, you don’t see much native people. There are other races, but they’re about as common as a full set of teeth in the Deep South. Downtown Toronto has Sikhs, blacks, Indians (Gandhi, not Sitting Bull), Chinese, and other types, around every corner. From the type of environment I was raised, it was crazy. The good kind of crazy.

It has also a bad kind of crazy. Homelessness is a real problem. I saw a black woman, lying face down, in the doorway of The Royal York Hotel, one of the more premier hotels in Toronto. Another guy started muttering something at me, something “goddamn” and/or “kill”.

Apparently, my great uncle tells me that the homeless can sniff out people who don’t live in Toronto. Maybe it’s because tourists acknowledge them.

My orientation day is basically just like high school. Except while the first couple days of high school, they say, “Be nice, get involved, don’t cheat”, they add, “Study too, because college is f----ing difficult”.

Also, college is just like high school too, except while high school put the fear into you that “If you don’t do well, you’re not gonna get into a good college, you won’t get a good job, and then you’ll be poor”. They just took out the good college part, now instead of teaching you to write S.A.T.s and get good grades and join a lot of clubs, now they’re teaching you how to write professional resumes and, in the case of my journalism program, encouraging you to join a lot of school newspapers so that employers can have evidence of your work.

Writing from my laptop. Hope my dorm room will have decent internet.

Peace.

Hitler ist ein furchtbare Mann.
Hitler is a terrible man.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you really seem to hate Regina, too bad you feel that sore about your roots.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home