Tuesday, April 05, 2005

An Open Letter To Michael Moore

Mr. Moore -
Hi, I'm a regular reader of your site. The site seems to focus on how bad military recruiters are, and how heroic the students are who protest them. It was a prime focus of Fahrenheit.
I'm just curious. Why are they so bad?
Are you protesting the concept of the military itself? That people would actually join it?
I mean, soldiers themselves, nor military recruiters, are essentially doing something wrong. They're just telling people that the military is a career option.
Are they lying about it in some way?
The military has done bad things. Allende, obviously. Does that make the entire concept of the military wrong?
Even if the Iraq War is wrong, does that automatically make the soldiers who fight the war wrong? I mean, there must have been some Nazi soldiers that tried their best to look out for their fellow soldiers, and who generally believed they were fighting for a better world.
Are the military given special privileges that other groups aren't?
Or are they just the main organization using their right to free speech to advocate joining up to fight a war you despise?
I generally don't like those guys. When the Canadian Armed Forces came up to recruit, most of us laughed and took the free pencils.
But I just don't seem to find a reason on your website that says why they're bad.
It's a harsh reality, but for the poor, the military is an option to better themselves. It's a shitty option, but it's an option.
Do you think that even those who suffer the most within the U.S. can't say No to the military?
Do you think that having a military is a bad thing? Do you want to go back to isolationism?
Because, so far, I'm thinking that you think that the military is a bad. And therefore, military recruiters are bad, because they recruit for a bad organization.
And that just seems pretty simplistic to me. But someone as knowledgeable as yourself must have better reasons than that, so I'd just like an explanation, if you could find the time to e-mail me.
- Marshall McMahon

I'll tell you if I get a response.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Moore is a big, fat, stupid white man.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home