Friday, January 07, 2005

A Night On The Town

So I didn't do much tonight.

I went to a comic book store. I saw what could easily be perceived as a pedophile. Balding, thin black mustache, bad jacket, hunched over slightly, seedy voice.

I thought to myself, "Jeez, me in 25 years."

Then I went to Suspect Video. I got Shaolin Soccer and Arsenic and Old Lace. A 40s Capra comedy with Cary Grant and the other a martial arts-comedy from Hong Kong.

I went on the train. I had to leave at St. George station. Apparently, there was a medical emergency, and everybody had to get off.

I got off, and decided not to take the bus, opting to re-create Stephen Daedalus in James Joyce, Ulysses. But I got to where I was going. Quite easily.

People watching was fun. But you couldn't describe it, if you wanted to. You can describe person watching. But not people watching.

Lovers saying goodbye. A young 20s ish homeless woman, begging for change. Two of them, in fact.

The stories we don't tell, because they happen all around us. Why bother describing what everyone sees?

In the comic book store, to fulfill my pseudo-intellectual-hipster-cool-guy pretension, I checked out Robert Crumb comics. Now, for the way the comics media hypes the guy, you'd think he was brilliant. However, from what I saw, he mostly relied on shock value for humour. Granted, if the popular media got wind in the 60s, every comic would be burned. Every one. Even Archie and Veronica. Just for Crumb. Burned on the pyre, possibly at a stake.

Who gives a fuck about comics?

The first article in Zap Comics featured a description of an African girl, similar to the black face characters found in Amos 'n' Andy. And a white guy doing her from behind.

Or sodomozing her. Crumb wasn't specific.

There is a difference, children. But I won't explain it to you. This site is about Nothing Important. Don't read it any more.

Leave. Go around and explore.

By the way, the term "shock value" is a lie, an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp."

A shock has to be justified. Something that is shocking is not valuable in itself. To me, seeing a white man do a black girl from behind is pointless. If Crumb was making a point about the subjugation of black women by white patriarchical society/some other bullshit art-school-English-essay reason, then it would be justified. If Crumb was trying to be funny, he would be justified.

Alas, it was not. Even with the caption.

P.S. Boogers boogers farts farts titties titties shit sex shit sex fuck fuck.
P.P.S. See? Pointless.
P.P.P.S. The irony is not the point, by the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home